The year 2008 :
- Global Economic Meltdowns
- World over job cuts in hundreds of thousands including major banks and airlines. Woolworths closes. Citibank cuts 70,000 jobs world over. The US announces $700 billion bail out for its failing banks. Recession hits everyone everywhere.
- Unrest and riots in the third world due to rising costs of living
- Erratic Oil Prices : Hitting records high prices of $147 a barrel and now currently below $40 a barrel
- Terror attacks in Pakistan have killed thousands this year: Marriot hotel severely damaged.
- Terror takes a new face and way in the Mumbai Attacks
- Pak – India tensions on the rise with war hysteria spreading in the common people and media on both sides of the border
- Israel’s savagely carries out air-strikes on GAZA after blocking it from every possible corner…. killing 375 (including 60 civilians) and injuring thousands.
- The US continues its wars in Iraq and Afghanistan
- Cricket dying a new death every day due to dual policies of ICC : ICC Champions Trophy canceled due to be held in Pakistan. Pakistan Isolated as most teams refuse to play in Pakistan in view of the security situation.
- Asif Ali Zardari is elected President of Pakistan in September.
- Political and rebel movements, clashes of violence, disruption of normalcy mar life in most 3rd world countries.
- Sea Pirate activities on the rise.
- Natural disasters claim hundreds of thousands of lives in various global events.
And now some of the positives:
- Spain crowned Euro Champions for the first time
- Barack Hussein Obama becomes the first African American to be elected the President of the United States of America sparking hope world over for a better US foreign policy. He will assume office on the 20th of January , 2009 to continue the history.
- China hosts the Olympics and carries out one of the most expesively planned and organized olympics in the history of the event.
- Phelps breaks all time record by bagging 8 golds at a single Olympics.
- Gwadar Port, Pakistan becomes operational.
- Over 120 countries sign an agreement to ban Cluster Bombs.
To each his own to categorize:
- The proton beam is circulated for the first time in the Large Hadron Collider, the world’s largest and highest-energy particle accelerator, located at CERN, near Geneva, under the Franco-Swiss border.
- An extra leap second (23:59:60) is added to end the year. The last time this occurred was in 2005.
These are a few of the glimpses of the year that was 2008. For a more comprehensive list you can visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008
Keep in mind that I tried my best to keep this post balanced with the positives , negatives and the in between category. The link might not be as rosey. It will be hard to find a the positives in that list. 2008 was … infact a very bad year.
I hope that 09 will be better. And I hope we all can do whatever we can and feel we can to make 09 a better year.